At St. Kevin’s National School, our STKEV values model is central to all that we do and the key to developing those attributes, skills and values for life.
It is vital that our pupils should play an active, positive role in the life of the school. As role models and representatives of our student body, the work of our Student Council helps us achieve this.
Our school’s Student Council is comprised of representatives (both male and female) from 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th classes.
The aim of the Student Council is to help improve school life for everybody.
How does the Student Council work?
Once a month, the students on the School Council meet with the principal, Mrs Bailey to discuss any issues coming up or tasks that need to be carried out. They also discuss feedback and questions that have come from each of their classes. From December 2019, representatives on the Student Council will be appointed following a nomination and election process and their term will last from January to January.
What does a Student Councillor do?
School Councillors represent their classes to:
- Provide an opportunity for pupils to voice their opinions and offer suggestions in relation to many aspects of life at St. Kevin’s
- Discuss issues relevant to the school and encourage and promote initiatives from the pupils.
- Offer an opportunity for all pupils to voice their opinions on proposed changes. This gives our students a very important role in improving our school.
- Act as a channel for communication within the school, between pupils and between home and school.
- Encourage pupils to organise events central to the life of the school.
Discussions in classes and at the Council meetings helps to develop social and learning skills in many areas such as speaking and listening, problem-solving and decision-making as well as the decision-making process.
From time to time the Student Council will discuss, make suggestions and decisions on topics such as:
- school rules
- STKEV values
- behaviour and discipline
- health and safety
- home learning
- our anti-bullying code
- lunchtime games and activities
- improvements to our yards
- care for our school and it’s environment
We are very fortunate to have a wonderful group of students leading the way at St. Kevin’s.